Note: Requirements for the Philosophy and Religion majors and minors changed in Fall 2018. Students who declared a Philosophy or Religion major or minor prior to Fall 2018 have the option to choose the new requirements or continue with the old requirements.
Academic Advisor for Philosophy and Religion: Jennifer Thiel, email@example.com or (856) 225-6043
Philosophy Major (730) – 30 Credits
- All four of the following (12 Credits): Symbolic Logic (730:201), History of Philosophy I (730:211), History of Philosophy II (730:212), Ethics (730:226)
- One course in Religion (3 Credits)
- Five additional courses in Philosophy (15 Credits), two of which may be from other departments so long as they have significant philosophical content and are approved by the department chair
Religion Major (840) – 30 Credits
- All four of the following (12 Credits): Introduction to Religious Studies (840:101), Introduction to World Religions (840:103), Eastern Religions (840:111), Jews, Christians, and Muslims (840:112)
- One course in Philosophy (3 Credits)
- Five additional courses in Religion (15 Credits), two of which may be from other departments so long as they have significant religion content and are approved by the department chair
Any student may petition the department to substitute other courses for those on these lists.
Majors are encouraged to have a competence in a foreign language equivalent to that obtained through the intermediate level of study. Majors also are urged to develop, in consultation with the adviser, a strong minor program or even a second major.
Students who are completing both a Philosophy major and a Religion major, or a major plus a minor, may count two courses toward the requirements of both programs.
Registering for Closed Classes
In the event that a student with a major or minor in Philosophy or Religion wishes to register for a class that is already closed, the department will provide upon request, whenever possible, special permission numbers for registration.